Episode 14: Big Money! Big Money! Big Money!

Show Notes:
In this episode the Guys give their “Take” on – Casino’s, Chris Rock’s tweet, Earnest Borgnine, Strip Club Etiquette, Philly Road Rage, and movies  – Attack The Block, Before The Devil Knows Your Dead, Looker, and the Dark Knight Rises.
Polished Turds: Street-Fighter, Nude Nuns with Big Guns

P.S. – Come Hang With The Guys! Saturday 7/14/2012 @ Tilted Kilt in King of Prussia from 8pm – ?  See ya there Bitches  #Beer…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Episode 14: Big Money! Big Money! Big Money!

1. john hovanec says:

I actually own this movie, dead alive is an extremely in your face gore fest! Check it out, its a must see film!

2. john hovanec says:

If u like the evil dead movies then you’ll definitely like this one!

• Ted says:

Hi John –
      Thanks for the vote of confidence on the movie Dead Alive! I can’t wait to check it out! Thanks for always being a great supporter of the show and look forward to seeing you out on Saturday! Cheers~ Ted

3. Jason Harris says:

Yeah, i liked “Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead” for several of the reasons given here. The HOTNESS of the beautiful and talented actress Marisa Tomei is just undeniable. The marriage of her and Philip Seymour Duncan in the film makes for a rather unlikely pair, and only goes to underline why they do not really ultimately get along. It also stars Ethan Hawke who i think is a very good and under-utilized actor. All of the characters are rather richly developed in this dark “family” drama.

The title line comes from an old Irish proverb “May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you’re dead” … and the characters in this film undertake a very underhanded scheme on robbing their parents which goes even more horribly wrong than they anticipated. They thought to just swipe some money to pay for lifestyles neither of them can really afford, but they hire an unwitting accomplice who complicates things and it becomes a horrible mess.

You are not supposed to like any of these characters, as few of them have any kind of genuinely redeeming qualities … it’s almost film noir.

4. Jason Harris says:

Just added the laughably titled “Nude Nuns with Big Guns” to my NetFlix queue LOL 🙂

Has either of you watched the film Hanna? Just watched it on DVD from NetFlix, was disappointed as a ‘rental’ exclusive it had the features on the DVD but they were disabled.

Saoirse Ronan, Cate Blanchett and Eric Bana star. I am amazed with the acting and acrobatics of the small, lithe Saorise – she is very dynamic onscreen. It reminds me of another film i HIGHLY recommend you view on NetFlix, which has INCREDIBLE fight scenes and choreography – Chocolate, a 2008 Thai film starring the tiny actress JeeJa Yanin. The story in that movie is… not great.. but the fight scenes and stunts are simply amazing. some of the scenes are reminiscent of other modern and classic fight movies, such as Kill Bill or Bruce Lee. In the movie, she is an autistic child that has the astounding ability to be able to absorb and emulate a fighting style simply by watching it. so she learns from TV, or her opponents, etc.

Hanna was not a great film, i was expecting more actually – but the young Saorise does a great job. I have yet to see “the Lovely Bones” which is another movie she is in but i have heard it is excellent. Eric Bana does a decent job in his smaller role as her master spy father, and the usually excellent Cate Blanchett feels oddly miscast here. She manages a Southern drawl decently to cover her usual British accent (odd choice), and we are asked to believe she is an incredibly dark and menacing assassin, but it does not play that well in the film…

5. Jason Harris says:

Does anybody remember Ernest Borgnine as the copilot in the 80’s TV series Airwolf? 🙂

6. Ted says:

Hi Jason,

I’m gonna respond to all your posts in this post –
    I think your break down of Before The Devil Knows Your Dead is Spot On! I never really thought any deeper about why I didn’t like this movie I just chalked it up to the pace, but your analysis of how morally bankrupt each of the characters are is probably another good reason for me to feel like I did about the movie. I’m glad you mentioned the meaning behind the title because I really had no idea and I really appreciate knowing things like that.

Hanna – Kev and I went together to see that in the theater and my expectations were really high for this movie…so I was of course a little disappointed, but what I really liked about the movie was the soundtrack provided by the Chemical Brothers. I thought it really added a lot to the film and was a highlight.
    I’m gonna have to check out Chocolate on Netflix – I’ve heard good things about it and not that I know you really liked I’m definitely going to move it to the top of the que!
    Regarding the Lovely Bones – I too still have to check that one out. Especially, since some of it was shot around Coatesville PA!

About Earnest Borgnine in Airwolf – what a throwback! I totally remember him in that with Jan Michael Vincent! I can’t honestly remember much about the show other than the helicopter though…man I’m getting OLD!

Last but not least – Thank you for listening and participating in the SHOW!

Cheers~ Ted

7. phenomx19 says:

I totally agree with the take on ‘ before the devil knows your dead ‘. I feel this is a film noir, a very dark film, with many layers and undertones. the pacing of this film is very characteristic of films in this genre ( the killer inside me, no country for old men, drive…) granted these movies aren’t for everyone, but they are extremely well written, directed, and certainly very well acted. The slow pacing is not necessarily a bad thing, it provides for very character driven story telling. You just have to be in the mood for this style of film. Correction- it’s Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
    As far as Hanna goes I was very disappointed in this film as I did have high hopes as well. The acting and casting are spot on, the stlye of directing is well suited , and the soundtrack is wonderfully done, it’s probably the most redeming quality of the movie. The plot is solid and very intriguing, I just feel like it feel short in the actual storytelling process, I was hoping for so much more. That’s not to say don’y watch Hanna, it’s still an ok film, it just feel a bit short for my always high expectation.
    Look forward to watching these other film recommendations…thanks all. Lovely Bones is based of a book and is a solid film translation… check it out.

8. john hovanec says:

I don’t know if u know this, the lovely bones was also shot in spring city, about 2mi from where I live. It has Susan saranden and mark wallburg in it, its about a little girl who gets abducted and is held captive under ground for a period of time. I think the paceing and story was good, you might like the the movie, that’s all I’ll say for now.

9. Jason Harris says:

LOL Ted i watched part of that ‘polished turd’ “Nude Nuns with Big Guns” on NetFlix streaming…
    have to admit i could not get into it. TOO over the top for me. wow, just wow haha

However i can suggest a kinda similar exploitation-style, CRAZZZY movie i have seen surfing around NetFlix…

“Bitch Slap”

THAT was … err.. entertaining enough for me to finish watching and then realize i lost those roughly 2 hours and was never gonna get them back. 🙂

You should check out “Sucker Punch” and “Bitch Slap” if you have not already seen them – they are like “Nude Nuns with Big Guns” but better! worth watching at least once!